Beautiful Maui, Hawaii Website www.mauisaltandsage.com
Hemingway Code Hero
Characteristics of Hemingway’s Code Hero:
· Hemingway defined the Code Hero as “a man who lives correctly, following the ideals of honor, courage and endurance in a world that is sometimes chaotic, often stressful, and always painful.”
· The Code Hero measures himself by how well he handles the difficult situations that life throws at him. He faces these experiences of life with grace (“grace under pressure”). In the end the Code Hero will lose because we are all mortal, but the true measure is how a person faces death. He or she may not win the game, but they are going to play it on their own terms.
· The Code Hero is stoic (seemingly indifferent to the pleasures and pains of like) in his or her acceptance of the hardships of life.
· The Code Hero is typically an individualist and free-willed. Although he believes in the ideals of courage and honor he has his own set of morals and principles based on his beliefs in honor, courage and endurance. A code hero never shows emotions; showing emotions and having a commitment to women shows weakness. Qualities such as bravery, adventurousness and travel also define the Code Hero.
· The rite of manhood for the Code Hero is facing death. However, once he faces death bravely and becomes a man he must continue the struggle and constantly prove himself to retain his manhood